Tuesday, April 24, 2012

My angel Fran


Believe it or not, this tale ends on a positive note. =)

Yesterday I went to the NYC DMV. It opened at 830, and when I arrived at 829 I was greeted with a line outside of about 57 people (give or take). The line moved fairly quickly, and after another line for the information desk (15 minutes) and one for the photo desk (50 minutes) I was ready to get my New York License.

The problem is that because I physically don't have my Michigan drivers license that I need to bring in a copy of my driving record including my initial issue date. Yes, this is 2012. And no, the NY DMV does not allow for secured emails or faxes. Nor are they capable of utilizing that new invention called the internet to look up the information in the database.

On my first trip to the DMV I explained my situation, and was informed not that I needed the record from the State of Michigan but only that I needed my Social Security Card (no copy or other substitution).

Broken hearted and a life an hour and a half shorter I left the DMV and called the SOS in Michigan to get my record. Because I cannot simply go into a SOS office I had to apply for my driving records by filling out a form and mailing it in (Michigan too is a little behind the technology curve). Luckily, the representative I spoke with informed me that they DO accept the form via fax. Elated, I explained that I needed the record expedited to me. The SOS employee told me that wouldn't be a problem, that as soon as the form was processed it could be sent over-night to me.

When I asked how long it would take to process the clerk told me that they were working on applications for driving records from the 10th. THE TENTH!!!

Desperate, I explained that I had an interview on Thursday and that I desperately needed the record sent to me before then so that I could gt my NY license in order. I pleaded. And it was my luck to have been connected with Fran.

Fran explained that if I noted the faxed application to her attention that she would process it and send it out the next day.

I cannot, nor could not, begin to explain how thankful I was and am for having met Fran. The NY DMV still operates the way it always has. Same with the Michigan SOS. But thanks to a kind hearted person who was willing to listen and understand I was able to get my driving record in time.

This blog post is half a thank you to Fran, and half a reminder that there are people out there in our lives whether we know it or not who share a heart with us. It may not be someone you even know. And it gives all the more reason to be kind, caring and thankful to all those you encounter.

You never know when your own Fran may come into your life and save the day!

No comments:

Post a Comment